Friday, February 17, 2006

Let them eat cake

Some very exciting news (for me) from yesterday afternoon. I received a call asking for me to come and enrol at University in the Arts degree I'd applied for. YAY! (times one million).

I had begun to despair over not hearing anything from them despite a beautifully constructed and clearly heartfelt application. "Returning to tertiary study" (i.e. "Having another crack at uni because I fucked up the first time") was one of the carefully worded phrases I used. "Was not suited to the intensity of a psychology degree at such a young age" (translated - "I discovered the joy of $1 pots on the Thursday night before an 8am Friday morning statistics tutorial") was another. Anyway, they obviously tolerated my thinly veiled excuses about why I never did get that psych degree and I'm going in on Monday to enrol in my course.

Very, very excited.

Pom was excited for me too, as he's been my sounding wall for the past month about how I wished I could just know if I'd gotten in or not. Just an answer, either way, was all I needed.

At work, my colleagues were pleased for me also. In fact, my boss went and purchased a cake in celebration, which was lovely. Mmmm, cake. There were noises about cracking open a bottle of champagne too, but I vetoed that one quickly having recalled the last time, about 2 weeks ago, when we cracked a bottle of champagne in the office and we were as silly as a wheel by 6.30pm. We are very unrestrained.

Even my mum sounded excited when I rang her, as she knows I've been feeling a bit despondent about….well…almost everything lately. She's pleased I'll have something constructive to focus on. Which I believe actually means "maybe you won't spend so much time and money at the pub anymore".

I think what I'm looking forward to most is having the opportunity to think outside the square again, and actually use the other parts of my brain not labelled "law". And of course, for the first time in many years - I GET TO DO BACK-TO-SCHOOL SHOPPING!

Lordy, I think I'm going to hyperventilate with excitement.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]