Tuesday, March 14, 2006

And the Award for biggest waste of a weekend goes to……..Me.

Friday: Hellish day of lectures/work. The sort of day where you think you might cry at any given moment. Hadn't completed reading 'The Tempest' prior to turning up to my Lit lecture. Second week of uni and I'm already behind, goddamn. Managed to cover the fact okay in my tutorial and even made some reasonable contributions in order to secure my 10% for participation. Reminded me of the time in my final year of High School where I got an A- for an English Literature essay about Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' without actually reading the text. Work was an absolute shamozzle. There is so much stuff to be done that I think I'm going to hyperventilate every time I look at my desk.

Get home. Exhausted. Pom was packing his bag to go away for the weekend with a mate of his, down the coast. (I have thus far avoided going to the beach for any extended recreational period by using the excuse that I want to be able to wear a bikini. Should book beach holiday for 2015). This was the first weekend since we met that we were to spend it apart. First weekend in the house alone. I got a little bit sooky when he left, as I'd had a big big day and needed to vent. Decided a bit of retail therapy might assist and went and bought a coffee maker. Not a big flasho cappuccino one, but one of those filter ones. It looks quite formidable and impressive, all for the princely sum of $23.00??? Amazing...mood was lifted instantly. Also purchased Who magazine (for Friday night ritual of Who & bubble bath) and a little packet of Easter eggs. Got home, decided that it was just too much effort to run a bath, put my oldest, most ragged pj's on and crawled into bed with my Easter eggs and my magazine. Lamented the lack of another body in the bed and thus Lucy was thrilled to be called to join me on the bed. She snuggled up behind my knees and proceeded to snore loudly. Thought about all the things I needed to do over the weekend. 3 whole days of doing those things. Loads of housework, calling family and friends who I have been meaning to speak to. Catching up and getting ahead with uni work etc. I EVEN MADE A LIST.

Saturday: Don't get out of my pyjamas until well after midday. Spend most of the morning staying in bed, only leaving to refill my coffee cup. Watched a lot of music video's on the tele. Read some non-uni related material. Dozed. Downloaded stuff from the internet. Finally got out of bed because I was getting picked up to go and play some tennis at 4pm. Played some pretty average tennis for a couple of hours. Saturday night was spent in much the same way as Friday night, only I did do some housework which brought me some comfort that I was making use of my time. Crossed some things off my list, and added some more.
Sunday: Much the same - slept in. Arsed around. Drank copious amounts of coffee, smoked cigarettes and cracked on with a book I've been meaning to read (non-uni related, of course). Finally drove my car for the first time since Friday - went to the Supermarket to do the grocery shop in the late afternoon. Not long after I got home, Pom arrived home all sunkissed and sandy and I was very glad to see him. I cooked us dinner (first notion of cooking all weekend) and we watched some tele before retiring for the evening. Well, to clarify, I was actually sorting some washing, realised I hadn't seen him for about half an hour and so went in search, only to find him passed out on the bed, mouth open and competing with Lucy for the loudest snoring title. Bless. Poor little thing was all tuckered out.

Monday: Public holiday - YAY! Woke up and it was raining. Raining, raining, raining. All of the washing that I had diligently hung out was soaked. Cooked us a beautiful breakfast of zucchini fritters topped with shaved ham, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. Served, of course, with coffee made with the new machine.

Decided that now my psychology lecture was but a few hours away I should probably do some study. Got about an hour in, but it was actually really productive and useful and I felt a little bit happier with myself. To ensure myself a peaceful studying environment, I armed Pom with gold coins and sent him to the laundromat with 2 baskets of damp washing. Went to lecture and was completely bored out of my brains for 3 hours. I have quite liked the other two lectures we've had but this one….nah. Statistics - bane of my (uni) life.

Came home, put together a pretty simple (but yummy) dinner of pork chops and salad whilst attempting to read 'The Tempest'. Made a fair bit of progress with it, which pleased me. Nothing like actually being productive at 8pm on the night before you go back to work.

Pom and I spliffed up after dinner, which was nice except for some reason I was more off my tree than normal. We went outside for a pre-bedtime cigarette, Pom asked me to pass him the lighter and I decided that before I gave it to him, I would light it and wave it in the air whilst treating him to a full length version of the Bangles 'Eternal Flame' at the top of my voice. He said "It was good until you got to the high notes". I then realised that pretty much the entire street would have been privy to my performance and lamented about what they would think of us now. Then I laughed. A lot. Maniacally.

Watched 'Shameless' in bed and cried at the end when Steve had to leave Fiona and Fiona was left on the kitchen floor howling. Pom laughed at me because I don't think he knew what else to do with this deranged, sobbing wretch beside him, mascara running down her face. It was simply so unjust (the Steve and Fiona thing, not the Pom laughing at me thing) and I couldn't help the tears.

Today starts another week, albeit a short one. We took Lucy for a walk at 5.30am this morning, which was a good start to the day. Although somehow she managed to escape her harness at one point and Pom had to give chase to get her back. Sneaky little bitch she is, but I still love her. She clearly enjoyed her 20 seconds of freedom and was quite smug for the rest of the walk.

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with myself about the weekend. It was a golden opportunity to get all the things done that I have been meaning to do for ages, but never have the time to get around to. 3 perfectly good days, no distractions, and I did bugger all of what I was supposed to. I'm my own worst enemy, Queen of procrastination. It's going to be the end of me, I swear.

Anywho, til next time….

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]