Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Old & Boring Inc.


These are some photo's of the herb garden I created last night. There are two plants of basil (because I use that a lot in my cooking), an oregano plant, chives, flat leaf Italian parsley, and some coriander. These are interspersed with some little Sweet William seedlings to provide colour.








The smell as you walk out the front door, especially at night, is amazing. I can't wait until I can hack a whole heap of basil off to use in my tuna & tomato risotto, or coriander for my curries. Or the parsley for the Husband-snaring risotto (and that's as much of the recipe as I'm prepared to give away Miss Jenny!).





But as I had my specially purchased old-biddy floral gardening gloves on last night, and was enriching the quite frankly crappy soil in the built-in planter boxes with potting-mix, before carefully separating the roots of the herb plants I'd bought from Bunnings and watering them all in, I had a tiny little epiphany;







I am 24 years old and I am excited about making my very own herb garden.

I don't particularly enjoy blinding nights at the pub in the same way I used to. In fact, I'd prefer to stay home and have a joint before climbing into bed with a dreamy smile on my face.

I am happy when all of my ironing is done and the lawns are edged.

I tsk at young girls wearing denim skirts which could double as belts. And it's not because I'm jealous that they can wear them and I shouldn't probably entertain the idea at all.

When I see teenage boys wearing polo shirts with the collars turned up, I just want to put them the right way again.

I enjoy good coffee and nice champagne, but have difficulty stomaching the girly drinks that I used to be able to consume by the litre.

I need to eat breakfast now. Whereas I used to be able to subsist on only coffee and cigarettes for days, I now have to supplement them with such ridiculous things as proper meals.

I wear a dressing gown in the mornings (much to Pom's disgust).

98% of the television I watch is on either ABC or SBS.

I enjoy eating 'some nice vegies' with my dinner.


THE FUCK?

When did this happen? Has the old ladieness just been lurking inside, waiting for the right time to come out? Should I feel guilty about not wanting to party like it's 1999 forever and ever? Have I always had a penchant for gardening and not known it? Will I soon be taking up lawn bowls and knitting? Holy shit - I already attempted knitting two years ago! (It didn't succeed because I have very limited patience, especially when I'm crap at something. Persevering? Ha!) Is it only a matter of time before I start wearing applique and matching leisure suits made from parachute material?

HELP! PLEASE HELP!

Comments:
snap out of it thomson....you're bloody well 24 for christ sake
 
Jeez, 24? Wait 'til you hit 30 and start discussing the benefits of a firm mattress. It almost makes me wanna start smoking crack ;)
 
P.S. Lovely herb garden though!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]