Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Weekend in review


Friday night saw myself and the lovely Vyner attend a short film competition as part of the local Arts Festival. It was held at my favourite café/bar/restaurant, with the carpark beside the building being cordoned off and set up with big round tables and a large projector screen on which the films were shown. The night was mild, the mozzies were scarce, and the champagne was lurvely.

Highlight: Some considerable talent, especially from the younger film-makers. I considered just how difficult it would be to conceive and then actualise a film which was less than 10 minutes long while still articulately conveying the chosen message and getting all that technical stuff right. Too hard. Close second in the highlights of the evening was the piece of Hummingbird cake which Vyner bought and then shared with me. Made me happy in my tummy.

Lowlight: The large communal table set-up meant there was a likelihood of spending an evening with people you didn't know. This had the makings of a great night, however I sat next to a lady in her 50's who didn’t hesitate in asking her companions in a loud voice what was going on in sections of films that she didn't quite understand. Which, for her, seemed to constitute about 90% of the evening. I wanted to beat her over the head repeatedly with my handbag. It's ART, bitch.

It was nice to spend a Friday evening out without the ramifications of a Saturday hangover. 3 glasses of champagne and a strong coffee to round off the evening.

Saturday

On Saturday morning we ventured down the street, as has become our custom. Pom made the very wise purchases of a lawn-mower AND a tele. So we can now hook the DVD player up and watch my David Gray DVD repeatedly for many many nights to come. Here's to being saturated in the maudlin but pacifying wonder that is Mr Gray. Lawn-mower? Meh - we have massive lawns and gardens at our house and hiring one every few weekends certainly makes no fiscal sense. Now owning a Victa, Pom should be starting to feel more Aussie. It takes him about 2 hours, involving a lot of sweat. Typically I will sit and watch him while smoking and generally supervising the job.

Highlight: My mum's housewarming party on Saturday night. A mini-celebration of her new-found freedom and independence. Good food (except for those weirdy asparagus doo-dads. I hate asparagus.) and a few drinks. Pom put together a computer desk for my mum, what with him being the new man of the house and all (not a job he applied for but has received nonetheless. I think he's quietly chuffed).

Lowlight: Shaving my legs in a hurry on Saturday morning and having to remove a piece of skin about the size of a 5 cent piece from my razor. It originated from my knee. I'm not a very bony person so I'm unsure how it happened but I do know it stung like the bejesus and bled a LOT.

Sunday

Sunday was a time of rest, recreation and relaxation. One of Pom's mates came around in the early arvo and we all spent a bit of time in the shade of the garden. I also did quite a lot of study in the afternoon after procrastinating as much as I possibly could.

Highlight: Taking Lucy for the usual big Sunday morning river walk and then finishing with brunch at our favourite place (the same one I was at on Friday night). Eggs Benedict, a skinny cappuccino and the Sunday newspaper. Bliss. Lucy usually gets spoiled by the waitresses by having a special dog bowl filled with water bought out to her. One time she even got bacon. This time, our waitress was clearly not an animal lover and she got no water or bacon. The people on the next table, however, asked if they could feed her their breakfast leftovers which she very much enjoyed. Oooh, the other highlight was doing a lot of stationary shopping for things which I felt may assist me in my path of studying. I bought a lot of items which were clearly superfluous, but it was fun nonetheless.

Lowlight: Having to set the timer on my mobile for 30 minute increments in order to study, after about 2 wasted hours of doing other shit that did not need doing in order to put off studying. Methinks this is going to a long road when you've got the attention span of a 2 year old. Also, trying to study whilst lying in bed does not count if you are partial to a nap, as I am. It's best to go to the loungeroom or a similar place where you can't lie down. Smoke breaks should also be limited to once every half hour at a maximum. Not one every time you finish reading a paragraph about cognitive psychology.

So that was my weekend. Low on debauchery, high on productivity. 4 stars.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]