Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I'm thinking D.F.O.......

My world as I know it seems to be spiralling out of control at the moment. I was thinking about it this morning on my walk (or my drag, depending how energetic Lucy is feeling at any particular time), and have concluded that in the course of a normal week, I am supposed to;

So lets break this down on a daily basis;


Work - 9.5 hours;


Study - 4 hours;


Lucy-time - 1 hour walking. Half an hour cuddles and pats and one-sided conversations in baby tones.


Pom-time - ideally 3 hours to talk about our days, maybe do something social outside of the house and have our sooky time.


Cooking & Housework - 2 hours;


Maintaining Family relationships - Half an hour each day to catch up on the phone, write my Gran the letters she dearly loves and play the Big Sister to my younger sisters.


Maintain my friendships - I suppose if you average a night out over a week then we could safely say this was an hour a day.


So lets add this up;


9.5 + 4 + 1.5 + 3 + 2 + .5 + 1 = 21.5


So, if I'm to do all the things I need to do, not including allowing time for showering, getting dressed, brushing teeth, smoking, drinking coffee, driving to work, eating, looking for matching socks, tearing the knots out of my hair, doing wees, watching television or staring vacantly into space I have approximately 2.5 hours in which to sleep and recharge before starting all over again.


Something's gotta give.

At the moment it's my friends, study and housework which are losing out, all of which I'm sad about (maybe not so sad about the housework, but I can't remember the last time I saw the bottom of my ironing basket).


I thought to myself - maybe I need an outlet?


An outlet, yes.

Now let me see what I could do to vent my stress at the end of a long day;


Drinking? No, I hate hangovers too much and I lose my tact as soon as a glass of champagne has passed my lips. I used to live for weekends of partying, and now I can't bear the thought of wasting entire days feeling crap.


Drugs? Well, not anymore. It's too hard to find a dealer around here. Plus, it's illegal and stuff.

Illegal = bad, kids.


Life of Crime? It's on the 'maybe' list.


Salsa Dancing? Now, I've always wanted to learn some sort of dancing as the best I can do is a shameless bump & grind when I've had a skinful. (Just add shame in the morning when recalling). The thing that's stopped me from ever dabbling in anything resembling a dance class is the fact that no matter how many episodes of Dancing with the Stars I watch, I never see the girls wearing flat dancing shoes. So put a decent pair of heels on Kymmy and I'd be taller than the bloke I was dancing with. Cringe.


Some form of team sport? Well yes, I already play social netball, and this allows me to vent aggression in the most primal of manners. An elbow here, an elbow there, it's all good. It's only 40 minutes a week though and I've got much more crankypants goodness to dispense of.


And that's where I run out of ideas. Audience participation below, if you choose.


Comments:
mate, its your life, its not an equation. you have to be selfish and do what makes you happy. as for three hours talking to pom a day....christ. you will run out of stuff to stay by next summer.
 
Jenny made me giggle, that's exactly what my friends would say to me - "3 hours, jesus!". I would say cut out the ironing, I maintain there are very few clothes that actually need ironing, rather (very important point so I will capitalise 'cos I have no idea how to italicise) THEY JUST NEED HANGING RIGHT!

Women in my family would always choose housework over spending time with their husband/partners (not that they have actually have 'partners', that's far too modern). I can't help but react against that but what you have just outlined is probably every modern woman's predicamant. Time, there is never enough of it. God, can you imagine adding a baby into the equation? Ugh!

I can't help but feel that 'equality' hasn't done a lot for many women, we now do twice as much work as we used to do. And we critisise ourselves when we can't cope.

I wish I had a solution but I don't (apart from the ironing, of course!)

Px
 
Jen - It's an indication of how my mind works that I need to break everything down. Like my list/bullet point obsession - it makes everything more managable. The 3 hours of Pom time can be subsumed into other requirements I guess. As for running out of things to say....I'd hope not, we can argue about how he claims he's an Aussie but still supports England in the cricket FOREVER.

Pomgirl - Please please please tell me how to HANG THINGS RIGHT (capitals noted - and I wish I knew how to italicise or bold in comments too - I can't work it out). Most of the clothes I wear are permantly in rotation from bathroom floor to washing machine to clothesline to laundry basket and never actually see a hanger or the inside of a drawer. Unless of course I'm trying to procrastinate from doing something else (like a psychology essay, just as an example!) and then I make housework an absolute priority and scrub the laundry sink with a toothbrush etc.

I'm going to pretend you never mentioned a baby issue because the idea just scares the bejeesus out of me. I've a hard enough time looking after myself let alone being responsible for someone else that can't be left outside for a few hours at a time!
 
That's permanently, of course. Not permantly or whatever frigging word I tried to make up!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]