Sunday, June 25, 2006

Aussie Aussie Aussie - ouch ouch ouch

The Australia -v- Croatia game was unreal, wasn't it? Pom and I gathered at the home of friends for squinty-eyed viewing goodness. We had breakfast, and coffee and watched the game with baited breath for it's entirety. Much happiness when the final whistle was blown, we had secured the progression through to the second round after a final 10 minutes of being more on the edge of our seats than we'd been for the first part of the game.

As we were leaving our home at about quarter to five, I was faced with a very soggy lawn to traverse to get to the car, handbag and pancake mix (our contribution to breakfast) in my possession. I didn't factor for the deceptively slick concrete I had to step down on first. In my thongs. Which have no traction. Onto the cement. With water pooling onto it from 2 solid days of rain. My leading foot sort of went out from under me, I tried to compensate by shifting my bodyweight forward, so as not to land on my arse. Unfortunately, this merely resulted in my ankle turning sideways and me hearing a pop. If the neighbours weren't already up for the soccer by then, the howl I made would have certainly woken them. I managed to sit myself down near the front door, holding my leg off the ground by the knee, and sobbing very loudly, waiting for Pom to finish turning the lights out and locking the back door, to come and rescue me. I felt a rush of nausea from the pain and thought I was going to be sick. It fucking hurt. It really fucking hurt. Pom finally came out and assessed the situation, looking at my foot and saying 'I think we might have to take you to casualty'. 'No, no, that's not blood, it's mud' I say, not daring to look. 'No, it's not the mud I'm worried about'. I forced open my eyes to look at my foot, and am amazed to see that in the space of less than 60 seconds, a golf-ball sized swelling has formed. I knew I'd heard a pop. I tested my weight on it, it still bloody hurt but it couldn't be too bad if I could bear weight. I then instructed Pom to put the pancake mix into the car. He helped me across the lawn and into the car, and I spent the next two hours with a quickly melting bag of frozen mixed vegetables on my foot. Two days later, it's now a reasonably ugly black, but I'm not walking with a limp today. Almost as good as new. Amazing.

I always marvel at how our bodies can put up with so much shit, you know? I mean, we give them a fair bashing for the most part, and they just shrug and get back to the work of healing.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]