Friday, July 21, 2006

Way out West.....

Our trip away was wonderful in so many respects. Wonderful to get away for a while, wonderful to reconnect with some of the 'other' side of my family whom I've not seen for more than 7 years, wonderful for the spirit (how Oprah).




Beaches = Wonderful too.



In as succinct a manner as possible, the highlights;
  1. Our hotel on Friday night. It was most definitely the flashest* place I've stayed in. It was massive. And they had a real piano-man playing in the vast lobby. And the concierge was great too. And there were complimentary snacks in the bar. Sweet.
  2. My meal on Friday night. Altantic Salmon served on a bed of sweet potato gnocchi, with those crispy onion things as a garnish. Yum times a million.
  3. Seeing my Gran again for the first time in so long. We were meant to only spend Saturday night at her home and then go back up to Perth again on Sunday. We stayed til Monday afternoon because I didn't want to go. I got her pissed on red wine on Saturday night, which was hilarious and lovely.
  4. Realising why I am they way I am (to an extent), in relation to my Aunt, who, for example when calling her cats in for dinner yells "Come inside, you wankers". Pom says he doesn't feel so hurt when I call him names for no reason as he realises these really are terms of affection and I must simply be a diamond in the rough.**
  5. Meeting two little cousins who weren't even born last time I was in the state. They are real little boys, demonstrated when I gave the littlest one a cuddle goodbye when we were leaving, he then stormed off with his chin tucked down, brushing his arms off to get the girl germs away. Too cute!


Pom and I visited some beaches, I sat on the sand soaking up the sunshine whilst he entertained the locals by splashing around in the water in the middle of winter.


I just felt as though I was home. Being with my family felt like I'd last seen them the week before, not the better part of a decade earlier. And that real feeling of a family connection is something that I hadn't realised I'd missed so much.


But we're home again now, to ice-laden windscreens and frosty lawns and seeing our own breath as we lay in bed of a night.


Brrrrrr.


At least we'll have the photo's to keep us warm!











*see how bogan I really am? 'Flashest'? Honestly. Also, getting excited about a concierge probably isn't cool either.


**I'm pretty sure he knows when I am angry, and my face goes all red and steam comes out of my ears that these are not terms of affection.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]