Thursday, October 05, 2006

I've got no shame in admitting the following;
  1. Even though I've lived in Victoria for nigh on 8 years now, my heart belongs in Western Australia.
  2. I love AFL.


So, obviously I was pretty pleased about the weekend's result. So much so that I cried when the final siren went. I didn't want to, but the combination of pride, alcohol, adrenalin and the preservatives in the cocktail franks made me do it.


I'm not ashamed to cry a few relieved tears of happiness.


It was a better scenario than last year, when I cried tears of sorrow caused mostly by the 17 glasses of bubbly I'd drank throughout that forsaken heartbreaking battle of sadness. At that time I was in a pub in South Yarra surrounded by Sydney fans. And I lost my voice from shouting. And then I got even more drunk, on oversized cocktails, to the point where I vomited in the toilet of a pub I can't even remember, accosted people on the tram who were wearing West-Coast paraphernalia and made 'friends' with them and then had a memory blank of about four hours. One of the best nights I've had, actually.


But this Grand-final was much, much sweeter.


Comments:
I love, love, love AFL. It is such a fantastic, exciting sport but I'm troubled by not having a team to shout for. The Boy supports Carlton..and for as long as I've known him, this has caused him nothing but heartache. I was considering making The Swans my team (I was cheering for them last weekend, I was in Sydney at the time so thought I best) but think I should pick a Victorian team. Hmm, I suppose I could be a total girl about it and choose a team according to the colours I like best!

Px
 
Pomgirl - You're in an enviable position really, it means you get the pick of the bunch. Once you've narrowed it down to teams with the good colours, keep in mind that those who have finished lower down the ladder this year get the better draft picks. So, in a couple of years when these strapping young new lads find their form, your team is likely to get stronger and you can bask the glory of victory without being thought of as a bandwagon jumper!

This doesn't apply to Collingwood or Carlton, however. Supporters of these sides seem to have had their status bequeathed upon them via some unavoidable genetic link.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]