Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Summer's almost here!

Swims! Hurrah! BBQ's! Hurrah! Daylight Savings! Hurrah! Living in a big old red-brick house which absorbs every little skerrick of heat and turns into a kiln! Boo! No air-conditioning! Boo! Sleepless nights! Boo! Sweating from areas I wasn't even aware had sweat glands! Whoa, too much information Boo!

Not. Looking. Forward. To. Summer.

When Pom and I first moved into our house, it was lovely. Big, airy, completely retro original, ours (at a weekly price). Ten days later, a freak heatwave kicked in and we spent a week enduring temperatures in excess of 40 degrees on consecutive days. It quickly dawned on me that our little love nest was more of a sauna than anything resembling a comfortable home. The kitchy red bricks really hold onto the heat and if the temperature doesn't cool down within a day or two, you could quite successfully hold Bikram Yoga sessions in my loungeroom. I started working later and later, not because we were terribly busy at my firm, but because my office is beautifully air-conditioned and I wanted to hold onto that feeling of being sweat-free for as long as possible. Almost every meal was cooked on the bbq because it meant I didn't have to stand in the kitchen preparing food. I cried for being too hot. I swore at Pom for no reason. I swore at Lucy for no reason. I swore at the house for every bloody reason. I threw tantrums when I couldn't sleep, kicking out at non-existent bedding and hissing at Pom to move further away from me because "you're making me too bloody hot" . The weekends of January through to March were predominantly spent either somewhere with air-con or sitting in the backyard with a hose over my head. Seriously. I had purchased a little inflatable paddling pool for Lucy because her coat absorbs heat especially and I felt sorry for her, then repeatedly kicked her out of the pool so I could sit in it instead. There's not enough room for both.

I'm not good with the heat. Grumpy, Snappy and Tanty become my pseudonyms. As much as I'm glad for the absence of frosts and scarves and beanies and socks, I wish the temperature would stay between 25 and 30 degrees, thanks.

Or that we had ducted cooling in our house.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]