Thursday, November 09, 2006

Free to a good home

Yesterday, whilst eating my chicken and salad roll from the bakery up the street at lunchtime (yes, it was very nice, thanks) I was skimming through the local rag and saw an ad for kittens that someone is trying to re-house. They are six weeks old. I am very tempted.

I know, I know, I just got one, right? Well, this is my point. When I was thinking about getting Aggie, I said to Pom that I wanted to get two kittens at the same time, so they could grow up together and I'd have lots of Anne Geddes type photo opportunities to bore everyone with, or some kickarse Youtube material when they battled. Kittens in plural are complete entertainment. But then, Aggie was the only kitten at the pound with no brother or sister to complete the set. And I don't know about anyone else, but I would find it very difficult (read: impossible) to go to the pound and then turn down taking an animal home purely on the basis that if I didn't, it would almost certainly die. As a direct result. The guilt would be terrible. God, I'm a sook.

So of course Aggie came home with us and yes, she is a complete delight, the way she terrorises Lucy one minute and the next she lays around my head when I'm in bed like a furry U-shaped hat. When she's really naughty we threaten to take her back to the pound (or 'death row', as it is known). And Lucy has taken to her, in a manner. By 'taken' I mean when they rumble on the lounge-room floor, always at Agnes' instigation, Lucy could quite easily use some force and actually hurt the kitten but she obliges with the play-fight and gently deals with her in a way which is quite touching. Agnes has also been known to take over Lucy's bed, her own obviously not being plush enough, and Lucy will either try and squeeze herself in there too or curl up in the corner, defeated. It's a bit cute really. They will chase eachother around the house and backyard for hours, and when they're tired will snuggle up together, touching paws.

So we've got the Lucy/Agnes dynamics worked out, and that's going quite nicely, but now there's the possibility of completing the set and I'm trying to be rational about it, quite unsuccessfully.

I'm currently compiling a mental list, the tactic which keeps my life loosely together, in relation to why I should or should not get another kitten. It looks sort of like;

  • For: Kittens are cute.
  • Against: Another mouth to feed (albeit cats don't take much feeding. Is that a 'for' now?)
  • For: I would call her Esme.
  • Against: Possibility of upsetting one of the existing furry family members.
  • For: Kittens are cute.
  • Against: I will probably never have a holiday because the kennel fees would be higher than my accommodation costs.
  • For: A kitten is not a snake, rat, or any other weird pet. (I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here).
  • For: Kittens are cute.
And also, at 25 with only one cat, I am obviously way off schedule for becoming the crazy cat lady I aim to be by the time I'm 50. You know, lives alone, 82 cats for company, house overrun, local school kiddies scared, Today Tonight crews hanging around....you get the picture? That's my dream/inevitability.

I will have to continue thinking about it.

Comments:
You should be a journalist, you have a really nice way with words, a natural talent.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]