Monday, January 08, 2007

Best weekend in AGES


Went camping on Friday night. CAMPING! I hadn't been camping in years. There were a group of friends up at a spot near Bundalong who had been up there for a week so we added some numbers and had a bloody excellent time. I forgot how much I love it. Had the best night's sleep I'd had in ages, on a 1-inch thick foam mattress atop lumpy ground inside a borrowed tent. Took Lucy as well, who transformed from sooky-cuddle-me-I'm-scared-of-everything-pup to Camping-Wonder-Dog-2007, barking at people who ventured too close to our camp, swimming in the river like a fiend and obeying commands to stay close and not run after other dogs. Sensational. We ate charred meat and drank around the campfire and had lots of swims. I spent most of Saturday morning (from 7.30am onwards) on a tube in the river, drinking cans and waving at passing boats, getting sunburned and feeling happier than I have in ages. I came home looking like the wild woman of borneo on account of not taking a hairbrush.

Spent the rest of the weekend being pretty lazy, aside from one burst of energy yesterday where I carved up mowed the lawn. If there's one downside to living on a sizeable block, it's the amount of time it takes to keep the garden in check. However, it's a small price to pay for the loveliness of sitting outside on balmy evenings with lots of green space around you.

Introduced Esme to the world of wearing a collar yesterday also. Not a happy response. She crept around for a while wondering where the ringing bells were coming from and then trying to eat the end of the collar once she'd worked it out. She eventually just cracked the sads and lay on the floor as though her head were far too heavy to ever pick up again. It was very dramatic. This morning it seems as though she has adjusted.

Was woken at 3.30am this morning by the sounds of the most horrible cat-fight I have ever heard. Right outside my bathroom window. Recalling that Agnes had elected to spend the night outside, I bolted out of bed and ran out the back, with Lucy the Wonder Dog hot on my heels. She raced around the side of the house and broke up the fight, chasing the offending cat (a big grey ugly Tom who continually comes into our yard at night to scrap with Aggie) across the backyard at full pelt until it slammed into the back fence before jumping over it and escaping with about half a second to spare before Lucy, well….I'm not entirely sure what she would have done. She was just protecting her family. Agnes is a little sore and sorry for herself this morning and overly cuddly, hopefully that will be enough of a lesson for her to come inside at night instead of taunting me from the top of the garage roof. (It won't).

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]