Thursday, March 22, 2007

I am going to dinner tonight to say farewell to friend (K) who is off overseas to do some very noble work in a developing country for a year.

The dinner is being held at the home of friends of hers (M & T).

I saw M & T at K's house a few weeks ago for Yum Cha which K made all by herself because she is Far More Clever at cooking than anyone who is not on tele with their own cooking show or in a restaurant and getting paid for it should actually be. It was on a Sunday and I happened to be deathly hungover so I spent most of my time in the K's loungroom with other Hungover People and had cold sweats and sooked about how hungover I was which was met with no sympathy because we were all in the same predicament.

That's not the point of my story.

The point is that M & T and another couple were there and they greeted me in a very friendly manner and called me by name immediately and therefore I was not introduced to them as in "Kymmy, this is M & T and Other Couple, M & T and Other Couple, this is Kymmy" presumably because K already thought I knew them and thus no introductions were necessary. WRONG. I do not know, out of M & T and Other Couple, who M & T actually are and who the Other Couple actually are. M & T and Other Couple are, at this stage in my mind, pretty much indistinguishable from eachother. The girls are both little with jaunty haircuts and pretty faces. The boys were average height, average build and both had brown hair. And I do not exactly know how they know my name and why they spoke to me with such familiarity. This worries me because it means that I have probably been "champagne friends" with them at some function and then promptly erased them from my mind once my BAC lowered to normal levels. This is not because I did not like them but rather than between 2002-mid 2005 I was pretty much pissed more than I was sober. The Party Years. I lived in a house with two boys for a couple of years and there were a lot of parties and goings on which are mostly a blur.

So I got an invitation by e-mail from M to come to this farewell dinner which is very lovely and I am going because I want to say goodbye to K and also it is always nice when someone else cooks for you.

This evening will hopefully not be problematic UNLESS;
  1. Other Couple is there (highly likely).
  2. No-one addresses M or T or Other Couple by name when I can hear them and take a Mental Note.


I am sure by the end of this evening I will know who is who and tomorrow all my troubles will be over but I am particularly interested to know of the connection between M & T and Other Couple and myself without actually admitting that (a) I do not know their names and (b) I cannot remember how I know them. Is there a way to surreptitiously do this and not be sprung? Particularly because at the Yum Cha I did not let on that I had not a bloody clue who they are but rather acted equally as friendly in return (as well as one can with a churning stomach and cotton-wool brain) whilst having that slightly disconcerting feeling that one gets presumably when someone else is being familiar to them AND THEY DO NOT KNOW THEM.


Comments:
I hate that! Every 2-6 months I get 18 new students and say goodbye to the last lot. That's been going on for 3 years now. EVERYONE knows me. I forgot already who I taught on Friday.

Good luck with the couple! If it gets desperate take a random friend along and they can say "Hi! I'm..... who are you?"
 
I prefer the 'funny story about my name' approach. Start with 'this person got my name so radically wrong today... how can people be so silly?!' and the finish with 'do you get called the wrong name or have random misspellings?'

The worst that can happen is you get 'well not much rhymes with Anne' and then at least you know!

p.s. Love your blog, and your kittens, and your links. I owe my knowledge of the existence of Forksplit to you... a large debt indeed.
 
Result! I now know who M & T are and who the Other Couple are (J & T). And really, they all do look quite different so I'm blaming that on my hungover state.

Although I still don't know exactly where I met them there were some people there last night who's very presence helped me narrow it down.

Usch - thanks! Forksplit is very very clever isn't she? She writes so well. I have found some more clever blogs that I'm addicted to now so I'll have to update my links and share the goodness.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]