Tuesday, May 29, 2007



My mum tells the story of when I was little, and my parents were still together (so pre-4 years old) when I was playing in the red-dirt backyard of our Port Headland home. Mum and Dad were in the kitchen and they looked outside through the window to see me singing earnestly into the electrics plug of our trailer, putting on my own 'concert' to an imaginary audience. For the record, it was Stevie Wonder's "I just called to say to I love you". I don't recall this specifically, but as I have dramatic tendencies and love an audience in my adult life, I don't find it hard to believe.


I am technically an only child and had to find ways to entertain myself throughout my early childhood, until the first of the plethora of half-siblings were born, when I was nine years old. I do recall putting on a lot of 'cooking shows' to my audience of one (a black Labrador called Zoe, who would sit patiently and watch as I 'created' dishes comprising of grass, sticks and mud) and I always dreamed of having loads of tiny glass bowls when I was grown up and cooking real things. You know how on real cooking shows all of the ingredients are lined up in little glass bowls just ready to be added to the mix? In truth, I would still like a set of little glass bowls, and I vow to purchase them one day. Also, embarrassingly, sometimes when I am cooking (by myself) I will still commentate as though I have my own show, explaining to the audience about the importance of creaming butter and sugar properly. I'm sure Lucy finds it informativeā€¦.


So there's my revelation for the day. Was anyone else particularly weird as a child?


Comments:
I am a particularly messy adult. My drawers are a jumbled mess and the floor is my cupboard.

However, as a child I was obsessively neat. I used to spend a lot of time aligning the spoons, forks and knives in the kitchen drawers. I was a folder, a smoother and a putter-awayer.

I don't understand what happened!
 
I had the very same attraction to the little glass bowl things, for the same reason. I thought it was a universal thing when I discovered my completely undomesticated younger sister had a set too...then I realised they were for mulling her dope.
 
Meva I believe you may have avoided a life with OCD just in time. Lucky....

Miz, I do have to wonder if your sister commentates as she's doing it..."Now, we're just going to crumble up the buds here...do make sure your dealer includes a quantity of buds when you purchase as they contain the highest level of THC in the plant, and THC is the chemical that gets you high...make sure you make a nice mix with a good quality tobacco....".

Cos you can only have glass bowls if you commentate....
 
Commentating is the fun part! I love cooking as a child, but I hate it now. If I'm on my own I just don't bother. I spent a week camping on my own a few months ago and when I got to the end of it all my grogeries were unopened except for a bag of breadrolls and some peanut butter that I took with me everyday in case I got hungry.

As a child I asked a million questions and used to bring al kinds of animals - dead or alive to my om to show her. I also threw my toys out the window and waited for it to rain so I could bandage them. I ended up a zoologist... who would have known!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]