Monday, July 21, 2008

The Personal Trainer Was Awesome...



I made it, albeit with a cosmo induced hangover (I know, I know, cosmo's are soooo 2004). My appointment turned out to be with the bloke, whom I spent the entire hour trying not to look in the eye lest they belay my very real intentions to be to really, really, really good and healthy from now on (and not have dirty hangovers). I was also convinced I was sweating out that stinky alcohol smell too. But before I left home I had downed about 2L of water and had to walk about a kilometre to pick my car up from outside the pub where I'd left it the night before, so I was feeling more 'together' than I otherwise may have been.

I had to fill out their 3-page questionnaire on what my goals are and what I eat for breakfast and how much exercise I already do at the moment, etc. I decided not to try and sugarcoat it to make myself feel better so when we were discussing my answers later I explained to him that I feel as though I'm an all or nothing person when it comes to fitness. I will be going to the gym 5 times a week without fail and will be feeling great and that it will take one tiny disruption to my routine and I will fall off the wagon, after which time I will be attempting to fuse to the couch while stuffing my face with twisties.

We then went through the fitness assessment including being weighed (!!) and finding out my body-fat percentage. Whilst I am relieved that I am more me than fat, there is still a lot of room for improvement. We went through some basic exercises in 30 second blocks to get a bit of a yardstick to work from herein - 30 seconds of tricep dips, crunches, squats, bicep curls, push-ups, step-ups etc, all the while with my heart-rate being monitored to see how my body was responding to the effort (poorly!).

So all of that took about 40 minutes. For the remaining 20 he guided me through what he said would be fairly typical of a session - basically more weights. I would expect that in an actual session there would be a fair proportion of cardio as this is what I feel that I need and this is also where I will benefit from having someone beside me, pushing. Because I am, fundamentally, quite lazy when I am only accountable to myself. Thus the whole motivation behind wanting to go to personal training from the outset.

All in all it was really great, although I would like to perhaps work with the lady trainer there to see what the difference is. I am told that she is a lot tougher, and that may perhaps be better suited. The dude was good, but there was a lot of 'that's excellent, keep going you're doing great' type of guff which made me a little wary.

So hopefully this week I'll get a call to sort out when I can start going on a regular basis. I'm planning on one 1-1 session and one small group session per week. This way my bank account won't get completely broken and it leaves me some nights to go to the gym and work it out for myself.

Yay!


Comments:
wow, well done! I've never ahd the guts to go the whole personal trainer thing. The whole idea of some super-fir robot telling me "good job" for lifting girlie weights while she still benchpresses twice her body weight every morning...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]