Tuesday, March 06, 2007

This whole not smoking thing is shithouse.


This morning I got disproportionately cross at something on my computer screen, a workmate sweetly rubbed my back in a 'there, there' kind of way and I burst into tears. And could not stop. In between snot and tears and gulping sobs I got it out that I had not had a cigarette in almost 2 days and I was not coping. My head is fucked, really spacey and anxious. I was laughing and crying at the same time, and trying to explain it feels like PMS when you have really no control over your emotions. God bless my workmates, they bought me chocolate to cheer me up. Those girls really do know the way to my heart (when champagne isn't available).


This is so bizarre, I feel like a right junkie trying to come off the gear - and it's only cigarettes! However, no more crapping on about it on this here blog as quite frankly the topic is only interesting to me.



Last night was the first night of the year where there has been need to rug up a little - it was a lovely change. I had to rummage through my wardrobe and find a hoodie to keep me snuggly, and when I went to bed the cats were very intent on scooting under the doona to keep warm. I felt a bit loved, even though I really know they are only using me for my body heat.

Comments:
Giving up smoking is the absolute pits, kymmy. When I gave up, I gave up a whole lot of things. I changed from coffee to tea. I stopped drinking alcohol (GASP!!! That lasted about 3 months and then I could drink without the ciggie reflex.). I only ate really small meals. I avoided parties. I went for a walk when the cravings got too bad.

And I followed other smokers around breathing in very deeply when they lit up.

It's horrible.
 
It is more interesting to others than you realise... well, it is interesting to me. I don't quite know why it is, but it is. Perhaps it's just that it makes me feel glad i never really got into cigarettes. I hope it starts to feel less hellish soon.
 
I'm afraid one of those irritating people who has smoked socially for years and never gotten addicted, but I feel for what you are going through. I hope you keep going with it and realize that the addiction is controlling you and eventually it will be so great to be free of it.
 
Awww thanks kids!

Meva, I'm so in awe of you for giving up everything that keeps me going, all at once! That must have been a pretty awful time for you and those around you!

jl, I bloody wish I'd stayed away! I used to lecture my dad about how disgusting smoking was, and then as soon as I was able I took it up, despite an entire childhood of telling other people off for it.

Emma, the control aspect is the worst, it truly is, realising that I truly depend(ed) on the nicotine is a really helpless feeling. Thanks for your words of support though, and welcome!
 
kymmy, don't be in awe. The only reason I gave up those things was because I associated them so strongly with having a ciggie. If I'd had a nice big meal with a glass or three of wine, not having a cigarette to complete it would have been utter hell.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]